Thursday, April 5, 2012

New England Native

Being a native New Englander, the only chowder I make is the hearty white New England style. I made this at the end of the summer and twice since. J requests this soup in a bread bowl for Friday dinner when he has had an especially tough week. I have tried a few variations of this recipe, and a few types of bread bowls. The recipe that I find to be the winner hands down is from the Big Y weekly magazine that they put in the bottom of the shopping baskets. I also recommend sourdough bread-bowls., or good crust italian bread.


What You Need: 
2 slices of bacon ( I use more like 4)
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 celery stalks ( I don't use because J hates celery)
2 TBS flor
1 cup clam juice ( I use reserve from the clam cans)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 cup fresh clams- I used about 4 cans of the chopped NOT DICED clams
1 cup Light Cream
1 cup water
4 drops hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste.
Bread bowls per person
  • Place Bacon in a large stockpot- (I used my dutch oven) and cook over medium heat until crisp
  • Add onion and celery and saute over medium low (about 5 min)
  • Add flour and stir to make a paste
  • Add clam juice, water, potatoes and thyme
  • Increase heat and bring to a boil
  • Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  • Add clams and stir in cream
  • Simmer for 5 minutes, until thick and creamy
  • Stir in salt, pepper and hot sauce.
  • Serve in hollowed bread bowls!

No comments:

Post a Comment