Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cheeseburger Egg-rolls

A few years ago my brother worked at a pizza restaurant so we had pizza for dinner quite often. Some of his concoctions were fairly tame, consisting of the basic pizza toppings of pepperoni, olives, sausage etc.I'm pretty sure I drove with him to try to accomplish some last minute Marine details with the promise of him taking me to dinner when I was introduced to my favorite pizza...What does this have to do with egg-rolls you might ask... Well after coming back from washing my hands, he tells me that he ordered cheeseburger pizza.. I was less than thrilled, especially after he told me what was on it..mayo, mustard and ketchup...pickles,onions, cheese and hamburger...eww gross! I was persuaded into trying a bite and oh my goodness, I think cheeseburger pizza changed my life! It was amazing, now my favorite kind of pizza! So when I saw a recipe for cheeseburger egg-rolls in Cuisine at Home I was hoping for the same phenomenon... While I had some glitches making these for the first time they turned out amazing! Let me share that Egg-rolls are not easy to assemble and I had never fried anything in oil before, but hey I have watched Paula Dean do it plenty of times so how hard could it be? I think I even told J that this making these Egg-Rolls was not fun! But man were they delish!

  • If you do make this recipe DO NOT forgo the sauce, it really makes a difference! 
  • I started using 2 egg-roll wrappers instead of one, to have a longer area to roll and could add more filling.
What you need:
A large bottle of Canola Oil
1 Lb ground sirloin
1Tbs Olive Oil
1 bag shredded iceberg lettuce- I shredded my own
1/2 cup dill pickle- diced
1/2 cup onion-diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
2 Tbs water
15 slices American cheese
15+ egg-roll wraps

Heat Canola Oil in a large pot to 375 at medium high heat
Brown Sirloin in olive oil in a large saute pan 5 min
OFF HEAT: stir in lettuce, pickle, and onion, season with salt and pepper and stir until lettuce wilts and drain
Whisk together water and eff
Lay 2 egg roll wrappers slightly overlapping on a flat surface
I egg wash these two together before I fill
Put 1 slice of cheese in the center and spoon in 1/4 cup cheeseburger mixture
Roll and fold in the ends
Egg wash the roll to keep together
Place in batches of 3 or 4 in oil until golden brown and crispy

For the Sauce
Whisk together:
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup ketchup
3 Tbs Yellow Mustard
1/4 cup diced dill pickle
Salt/pepper to taste

If I were to make these again, I would lay them on a towel to absorb some of the extra oil and make them less greasy...also if you reheat do so in the oven. J didn't like the sogginess of microwaving them the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment