Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snowed In



Well at least the Weather Channel got it right this time, and gave us plenty of time to prepare for Nemo. We watched throughout the day yesterday as the flurries came and stayed. Only a few inches had accumulated by sundown and we were skeptical of the true strength of what they said was coming. After 2 episodes of the Big Bang Theory ( we are addicted) and a dinner of Portuguese Shrimp and fresh bread we again looked out the window. 8 o'clock and the inches were piling up and the wind was picking up. A plow had not been down our street all night, but the snow mobiles were not having any problems with the road conditions. It was decided that J should leave early for his midnight shift--darn you emergency personnel never getting a snow day! J was rolling slowly down the street by 9:15 and I was snuggled up at home with the wood stove, howling wind and freshly baked muffins. mmmm.... Overall, not a horrible storm right? Ha! Then I woke up at 7 this morning...

Okay, it's white outside, nothing I haven't seen before. When you are just looking out at an open space you have nothing to compare the depth of snow to. I figured I should go shovel a place for J to park his car. Jeans and a sweatshirt went on  over my pajamas, then heavy socks, boots, winter jacket, hat, gloves and 2 hoods...Now where is that shovel?

I had to get out back up shovel to do the stoop because J left the shovel out front by the tree after he shoveled his way out last night. And then I opened the door. Show fell into the kitchen. We have a 4 step stoop and you could not even see bumps to differentiate the steps. The snow was covering the entire stoop--at least 2-3 feet of the white fluffy stuff. Thank Goodness it was fluffy! I shoveled my way off the stoop and stepped into the yard...and sunk into mid thigh deep snow. I finally dug out the shovel from under 30+ inches of snow and for the next 2 hours, dug out a place barely big enough for J's car and a path to the door. By the time J got home after 9 I was frozen without hope of being warmed up, even after crawling back into bed with my personal furnace and hoping for a bit more sleep. It was a lost cause and required a 30 minute steaming shower, a roaring fire and now 2 blankets, hot cocoa and a Lifetime Movie.

Because I am not budging from this place of warmth, I busted out the crock pot once again and have that Italian Chicken cooking away. But for a quick lunch to heat me up..wrapped meatballs!  Yum-O! Super easy and a great dinner if you serve it with a big salad and warmed marinara sauce!

Biscuit Meatballs

  • 8 thawed Italian Meatballs- I got a deal on those bags of meatballs from the freezer section
  • 1 container flaky biscuits- Grands or similar type
  • Several Mozzarella string cheese sticks

  1. I semi cooked the meatballs in the microwave
  2. Separate the biscuits then cut each biscuit in half.
  3. Place 1 meatball and an inch piece of cheese inside of each biscuit
  4. Stretch the dough over the meatball and seal--I just rolled it between my hands
  5. Place on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with grated parm, garlic powder and oregano
  6. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes

That will keep you warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment