Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Being a native New Englander, I am used to tropical storms, Nor'Easters and as of last year, 8 days without power after a freak Halloween Snow Storm. But I am starting to wonder if these October Mega Storms are the new norm. I am currently snuggled on the couch, tuned into the weather channel and watching the wind pick up out the front window. Work has been cancelled for 2 days, CT highways are closing at 1pm and I already had to chase the trash can lid across the back yard. (J is bringing that to the basement when he gets home at 12).

I learned my lesson last year and went out to buy a lantern, candles, lighters, water and a bottle of wine. We have canned fruit, tuna and granola bars galore. But what about meals? I bought 2 loaves of bread along with peanut butter and jelly and last night I made baked chimichongas! Power or no power, tonight we are having left overs!

Similar to a hot pocket, I used ground turkey to make this dish a bit healthier. I made the turkey as I would taco meat, cook, add taco seasoning and water...add diced tomatoes, cumin and oregano, then 1/2 cup each sour cream and shredded cheese and mix... Then I filled 6 Tortillas with the mix, fold seam side down and bake for 15-20 minutes.

We devoured 1.5 each and topped them with sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa and cheese. Yum! Even if we do lose power, I am sure they will work cold in a pinch.

With my bathtub full of water, blankets at the ready and snacks filling the pantry, I am ready for this hurricane.

No comments:

Post a Comment